Class sequence is recommended but not required, unless prerequisites must be met.
Writing Class Progression & Prerequisites
If your student hasn't taken a writing class at SAIL before now, the Writing Survey and Writing Sample must be submitted to ensure proper placement.
Returning writing students do not have to complete the survey or submit a writing sample.
5th - 6th Grade Language Arts: Writing A/B (Alternate Years)
- 5th - 6th Grade Writing must be taken with 5th - 6th Grade Literature
- Students should have a grade-level understanding of grammar and vocabulary and should be able to write well-formed sentences.
- Students should be able to write an organized paragraph and have a grade-level understanding of grammar.
- Successful completion of Writing II.
Writing IV (not available in the 2021-22 school year)
High School Literature Class Progression
Advanced level literature classes alternate among the following three with one taught each year. Students are encouraged to complete the progression.
- All students should submit a writing sample of at least three paragraphs responding to a poem or fiction/non-fiction book.
World Literature - scheduled for the 2022-23 school year
American Literature - scheduled for the 2023-24 school year
British Literature - scheduled for the 2021-22 school year
History Class Progression
Ancient History - scheduled for the 2022-23 school year
Medieval History - scheduled for the 2021-22 school year
- upon completion of High School level U.S. History
Science Class Progression
5th/6th Grade Science
- upon completion of 6th grade math
Physical Science with Lab
- Apologia's General Science, or other middle school level science survey course
- must have completed or be enrolled in Pre-Algebra
Biology with Lab
- upon completion of Apologia's Physical Science or other equivalent course
Chemistry with Lab
- upon completion of High School Biology and Algebra I
Apologia Advanced Science with Lab (possibly Anatomy & Physiology or Physics)
- not offered for the 2021-22 school year